Sunday, January 8, 2012
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!
My local library held a “Book a Month” challenge last year. Last January, I grabbed the form, threw it on the fridge and sort of forgot about it after that. Basically, you just had to read at least one book a month (easy, peasy) and record them. Since I keep track of what I read on Goodreads.com, I wasn’t terribly worried about forgetting. The grand prize was an e-reader (of an undisclosed type).
A few weeks ago, I saw the form and realized that I better get my butt in gear and fill it out. I’m so glad I did, because I got a call a few days ago saying that I won. Woohoo! Since I already have an e-reader, they said that they’d just furnish a giftcard in place of it. I got an email with this inside:
Posted by Angel at 8:29 PM 0 comments
Friday, January 6, 2012
Sorry for being such a downer. Maybe next week will bring a more fruitful Friday Five (see what I did there? :wink, wink:).
Posted by Angel at 8:05 PM 2 comments
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
New Year, New Goals
In December, I did a lot of thinking about whether or not I wanted to have any New Year’s Resolutions or not. I decided that I did need goals. I’m just not sure how many reading-related goals there will be. My husband and I are hoping for some big changes in our household this year (including getting healthy again, of course). I don’t know that I want reading to be something I am having to work for. That may change as the year goes on. I did set a few small goals, though.
1) There will be no buying of books in the Madame Bookworm household for the foreseeable future. I have too many sitting unread on my shelf and frankly, books are expensive. We have some bigger things we are trying to save for. While buying books is certainly fun, it’s not a necessity. (Gasp!)
2) I will try to stay caught up with reviews on the blog, but I will not let it become a burden or get in the way of my other big goals. Let’s face it: blogging is WAY more fun that hitting the gym. Unfortunately, it doesn’t really make for a very healthy bookworm, now does it?
3) I will try to read more Middle Grade lit. I have a deep love for YA, but I teach Middle Graders and I will likely be a librarian in an Elem/MS setting, so it’s important that I read it. Plus, I’ll be taking an Advanced Children’s Lit class this spring, so I’m sure you’ll be seeing more of it here on the blog.
Okay reader friends, that’s all I have for now. What bookish goals did you set for yourself this year?
Posted by Angel at 7:19 AM 0 comments
Friday, December 30, 2011
Holy crap, is it Friday already? No bueno. (I’m on break or this would normally be MUY BUENO)
1. I’ve really been loving this Christmas break, but I’ve been lamenting over the fact that it may be my last one. I love teaching, but I’m just not sure how much longer I can do it in the current state of our education system. I just can’t stay with something I can’t support. That’s a whole other blog post that I won’t go into for now, though.
2. The past few days, my best friend from childhood came to stay. It’s been really fun having her around. We haven’t lived in the same town for over a decade, but it’s pretty easy to pick right up with her. Yesterday we were goofing around and taking some pictures for fun. Here is one for you:
3. I had a few library fines this week. I sort of feel like this makes me a terrible book nerd. On the other hand, it’s a little like making a small donation to the library. It’s for a good cause, right?
my 2011-reads shelf:
Posted by Angel at 8:30 AM 2 comments
Oh happy day!
I bought myself this lovely purple (of course!) case for it a few days ago and got a heck of a deal. Original price: $43.99. What I paid: $9.11. Oh yeah, I rock.
Posted by Angel at 7:31 AM 0 comments
Best of 2011
2011 was a slow reading year for me. I started graduate school, which really left me a lot less time to just sit and veg with a book. You’d think studying to be a librarian would have the opposite effect, right?
Here are my top 5 books for 2011 (in no specific order):
Posted by Angel at 2:39 AM 0 comments
Sunday, December 25, 2011
I hope this holiday season finds you happy, healthy, and surrounded by tons of great books. That’s how I plan to spend it.
Posted by Angel at 12:00 AM 2 comments